Professor Charity Burbage (d. July, 1997) was the Professor of Muggle Studies at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after the departure of the wizard who formerly held the post. Her career lasted from 1993 to 1997, and in these years she taught how Muggles weren't so different from wizards and witches.
Burbage probably studied magic at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and it is likely that she achieved a high graded O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. in Muggle Studies as later in her life she went on to teach this subject for four years. She may have also done examinations in both Muggle Art and Muggle Music, as both appear to be separate branches of the same subject.
Career as a professor
- "It'll be fascinating to learn about Muggles from a wizard's point of view."
- —Hermione Granger awaiting Professor Burbage's class[src]
Burbage went on to return to Hogwarts from which she studied and took up the post of Muggle Studies professor, replacing a male teacher. Her office was located on the first floor (indicated as where Hermione took her Muggle Studies exam) and it was full of Muggle toys and instruments, suggesting it was possibly used for Muggle Music classes too.
Burbage's class was described as 'a soft option,' as opposed to Minerva McGonagall's Transfiguration classes. However, Percy Weasley proposed that her classes were very useful, especially if her students were planning a career in Muggle relations; his father being a case in point. She apparently gave quite a bit of homework, such as essays on why Muggles need electricity.
Third-years Hermione Granger and Ernie Macmillan both took Burbage's class and found her teaching fascinating. During this year, Burbage gave homework requiring her students to write an essay entitled Explain Why Muggles Need Electricity. At the end of the year, Hermione Granger dropped Muggle Studies, leaving Burbage without a star pupil.
- " Avada Kedavra". Nagini, dinner."
- —Lord Voldemort casting the curse that killed Burbage[src]
- "Alecto, Amycus's sister, teaches Muggle Studies, which is compulsory for everyone. We've all got to listen to her explain how Muggles are like animals, stupid and dirty, and how they drive wizards into hiding by being vicious toward them, and how the natural order is being re-established. I got this one for asking her how much Muggle blood she and her brother have got."
- —Neville Longbottom on Burbage's sucessor, Alecto Carrow[src]
No one knew of Burbage's whereabouts after her death. Sometime before 27 July, Charity Burbage's alleged resignation from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was briefly mentioned of the front page of the Daily Prophet. However, members of the Order of the Phoenix did not believe it, as they were unable to locate her anywhere after the summer.
On 1 September 1997, under the tenure of Headmaster Severus Snape, attendance of Muggle Studies class was made mandatory by the Death Eater-controlled Ministry of Magic, under professor Alecto Carrow. It is unknown whether Burbage's true fate was ever uncovered and revealed to the wizarding world after the Second Wizarding War.
Magical abilities and skills
- Muggle Studies: Charity had knowledge of muggles and muggle devices considering that she was the professor of Muggle Studdies at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, she must have achieved a N.E.W.T. in the suject.
During her employment at Hogwarts, Charity considered herself to be friends with fellow professor Severus Snape. She begged him to save her during the Death Eater meeting at Malfoy Manor in the summer of 1997. Despite his apparent murder of Albus Dumbledore (unbeknownst to most people, Dumbledore had planned his death with Snape), she stated during the meeting that she and Snape were friends. She may have suspected that the circumstances surrounding Dumbledore's "murder" were not what they appeared to be.
Unfortunately Snape could do nothing to help her, as he needed to pretend that he was a truly loyal follower of Voldemort. Any attempt to save Charity would have resulted in both of them being killed.
Behind the scenes
- Burbage is portrayed by British actress Carolyn Pickles in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.
- Charity says the same last words that Albus Dumbledore did, except she adds another 'please'.
- Charity Burbage was preceded and succeeded by professors who served Lord Voldemort, though Professor Quirrell only fell to Voldemort during his year off after leaving the job; she herself was murdered by Lord Voldemort.
- Carolyn Pickles shares the same birthdate as Roger Lloyd-Pack, who portrays Bartemius Crouch Sr, and John Williams, the composer of the first three films.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, she has grey hair and she appears to be older.
- In the Claymation she is muggle born.
'Charity' is from the English word charity, ultimately derived from Late Latin caritas meaning "generous love", from Latin carus 'dear, beloved.' Caritas was in use as a Roman Christian name. The English name Charity came into use among the Puritans after the Protestant Reformation.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ As Charity was employed at Hogwarts by 1993, she must have been of age (17) by then.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Voldemort made no reference to Burbage herself being a "thief of knowledge and magic", which he would likely have done had she been a Muggle-born. However, this is not a concrete confirmation on her blood status.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Voldemort referred to her as "Miss Charity Burbage", meaning that she was born Burbage and never married.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- ↑ Deathly Hallows Movie Updates: Charity Burbage Cast, Possible Historic Home for Exterior Shots and More
|Professors: Quirinus Quirrell · Male Teacher · Charity Burbage · Alecto Carrow|
|Classrooms: Muggle Studies Classroom · Muggle Studies showroom · Fifth Floor classroom|
|Textbooks: Cooking the Muggle Way · Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles · Moronic Muggles · Muggles Who Notice · My Life as a Muggle · The Philosophy of the Mundane: Why the Muggles Prefer Not to Know · When Muggles Attack|