|Charis Crouch (née Black)|
Charis Crouch (née Black) (1919 – 1973) was a pure-blood witch, the third daughter of Arcturus Black and Lysandra Yaxley and sister of Callidora and Cedrella. She was married to Caspar Crouch, and produced three children: a son and two daughters.
Charis may be the mother of Barty Crouch Sr., although this has not been confirmed. Through her disowned sister Cedrella, she is a maternal aunt of Arthur Weasley and a relative of the Weasley family, and through her other sister Callidora, she is related to the Longbottom family.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Charis may have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, she attended Hogwarts c. 1930-1937, when Slughorn may not have been Potions teacher.
- On the left side of the family tree, where are depicted ancient ancestors, we can see Phoebe Black, whose face is similar to Charis. The production team simply recycled Charis's face to save time, as they did with Elladora and Callidora.
Charis may take her name from the Greek kharisma, meaning grace and charm. In Greek mythology, a Charis is one of the Three Graces, the goddesses of beauty, nature, charm, and fertility. It could also be a play on the French term for darling, cheri, or cherry, cerise (pr. cher-ees). Charis is also a butterfly of the Riodinini class. The name of Charis' sister Callidora is also connected with beauty, and their names possibly means that they are beautiful.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 Black family tree
- ↑ Although it has never been confirmed that Septimus and Cedrella are Arthur's parents, this can be inferred based on Sirius Black's statement in Ch. 6 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that Arthur was "something like [his] second cousin once removed." The Black family tree establishes Cedrella as a first cousin once removed of both Orion and Walburga Black, Sirius's parents. Thus, any children she had would be their second cousins, and second cousins once removed of their sons Sirius and Regulus. Also, almost all of Sirius's relatives can be seen on the Black family tree because both his parents were born into the House of Black, making it unlikely that he could be related to Arthur in a way not shown. See also this talk page and an HPL essay at for more information.