Please discuss candidates for deletion here
Lists of archived discussions and their results. Sorted by year in which the discussion started.
- Archive 1 (2007)
- Archive 2 (2008)
- Archive 3 (2009)
- Archive 4 (2010)
- Archive 5 (2011)
- Archive 6 (2012)
- Archive 7 (2013)
- Archive 8 (2014 to 2015)
- Archive 9 (2016)
- Archive 10 (2017)
Articles on horse and cat variants
I know that most articles of these have existed for months, but I think that articles on the horse Patronuses on Pottermore should all be redirected to horse.
We don't have articles on individual genders, just one for each species. I remember that we also merged bull and cow, which is also the same animal, but male and female.
We also could merge the pony and drafthorse articles I created myself
The same applies for the different colours. Having a different coat colour doesn't make them a different species.
- I do agree that Piebald Mare and the like need to be merged into Horse as well as the articles like Tabby Cat into cat, and the original pages redirected to the species page. Cheers --Ironyak1 (talk) 19:27, April 27, 2017 (UTC)
The appearance section is so ridiculously long that it can only be based on every single time that human hair appears or is mentioned, which, given that baldness is an exceptional trait, applies to pretty much every character. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 04:40, March 9, 2017 (UTC)
That's right. We also have articles on other kinds of hair and its magical uses though. Cat hair, Veela hair, Puffskein hair which alsi etail on the tole of hair in magic. Shouldn't we delete them all then?--Rodolphus (talk) 08:17, March 9, 2017 (UTC)
- The difference is that Veela hair etc. are only referenced within canon in a magical context. Thus, information on them is relevant to the plot or world of the Potter series, not merely incidental trivia. Human hair is visible in every scene in the films featuring a person, and implicitly present in every scene in the books if it's not directly mentioned, so it's incidental in the same way as eyes, skin, air, and sunlight.
- The article, as it stands, is in dire need of clean-up. The appearances section needs to be streamlined along the lines you've suggested, because the current indiscriminate laundry list, at best, is unhelpful and cluttering, and, at worst, is inviting crufty or trolling additions to the article.
- There also needs to be a structure. A bunch of single-sentence paragraphs is messy and unhelpful. There should probably be a section on the use of human hair in potions, a section on spells and magical products used to style hair, etc. Maybe a section of listing characters by hair colour, which, yes, is trivial, but it would also be useful (from a HP fan perspective) and interesting in the same way as the list of characters who wear spectacles or characters by zodiac signs are. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 09:21, March 9, 2017 (UTC)
- It's okay. There's always plenty of tasks to do on a wiki if creating articles isn't one's strong point. For now trimming down the "Appearances" section is probably a good place to start. I might give fleshing out the article a go at some point, but unfortunately my backlog for this site is huge, and I don't have as much free time as I once did. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 09:40, March 9, 2017 (UTC)