Cassiopeia Black (1915 – 1992) was a pure-blood witch, the eldest daughter of Cygnus Black II and Violetta Bulstrode and sister of Pollux, Marius and Dorea. Cassiopeia never married or had any children.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Cassiopeia may well have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, she attended Hogwarts c. 1926 - 1933, when Slughorn may not have been Potions master.
- Since Cassiopeia and Callidora were born in the same year, it is most likely that they were classmates at Hogwarts.
- Cassiopeia is a queen in Greek mythology, and her daughter is Andromeda. Another relative was Andromeda Tonks, a grand-niece of Cassiopeia Black.
- Cassiopeia died after her brother Pollux, in the same year when their cousin died. At that time, Cassiopeia's grand-nephew (Sirius Black III) was in Azkaban.
- On the family tree featured in the film, her first name is misspelt "Cassiapeia".
Like many members of the House of Black, Cassiopeia is named after a constellation. The constellation is in turn named after Queen Cassiopeia of Greek mythology, a beautiful but vain woman whose arrogant boasting led to her downfall. The name is derived from the Greek Κασσιόπη, meaning "she whose words excel".
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)