|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
Cascão Porker (also mentioned as Cascão Porker e a Pedra Distracional, in English: Smudge Porker and the Distracting Stone) is a Brazilian comic book parodying the movie Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, published by Panini Comics. It features the popular Monica's Gang characters as Harry Potter characters in a comedic, child-friendly version of the first Harry Potter movie. Released in August 2009, it was the number 15 edition of Monica's Gang special series on classic theatrical movies.
Cascão Porker is protagonized by Smudge (Cascão in the original version), a dirty character who profoundly hates water, portraying Harry Potter. Other characters from the comics make the rest of the cast. See the section Monica's Gang jokes to a short description of these characters.
The book starts showing the wizards Magaligonagal (Maggy as Minerva McGonagall), Hagridão (Thunder as Rubeus Hagrid) and Dunimbusdore (Nimbus as Albus Dumbledore) leaving the orphan baby Smudge on the house of his uncles, the Dudursleis (Junior and his family as the Dursleys) in the Rua dos Trouxas (Street of Muggles, Privet Drive). They were trying to give the child a home since his parents disappeared.
Years later, Smudge lives happily with his uncles and his cousin although he sleeps in an understairs cupboard, because his uncles and his cousin cannot stand his stench. He continued living there until the day when Hagridão visits him and declares that he is a wizard and needs to go to Hográtis School of Magic (Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry). Initially, Smudge does not believe that Hagridão does magic, but is convinced after Hagridão materialises a "flying donkey" balloon. Then, Smudge and Hagridão go to the Beco Poligonal (Poligonal Alley, Diagon Alley), where Smudge buys his wand made with feather of vulture and is told by Hagridão that a long time ago, "Aquele-Que-Não-Se-Deve-Mencionar-Nem-Em-Piada" (He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-Not-Even-In-a-Joke), bought an identical wand. Shortly after, Hagridão gifts Smudge three winged piglets (three flying piglets portraying Hedwig), before withdrawing a unknown object from a vault in the Gringões Bank (Gringotts Wizarding Bank). Hagridão decides to tell Smudge the truth about his past: when Smudge was a baby, he always fled from his bath and one night the dark wizard Feiodemorte (Captain Frey as Lord Voldemort; "Feiodemorte" is read as "feio de morte", which means "dead ugly") went to Smudge's home to give him a bath and then become the world's dirtiest wizard; but when he tried to do it using a tub, baby Smudge knocked him over the tub and made a drop of water pour on his own forehead, creating a scar on this location; after this, Feiodemorte got angered and sent Smudge's parents into another dimension.
Smudge later leaves Beco Poligonal and goes to platform Nove e Pouco (Plataform Nine and Something, Platform 9¾) to take the train to Hográtis School. In the train, he meets Cebolony Uéslei (Jimmy Five as Ron Weasley) and Hermônica Granja (Monica as Hermione Granger), two other future Hográtis students with whom he talked and socialised, creating friendship ties. After arriving Hográtis, the trio discovers that there are four houses in the school: Grifedória (Gryffindor), Sonseverina (Slytherin), Ufa-Ufa (Hufflepuff) and Discovinil (Ravenclaw). They also meet the Sonseverina student Xavecus Malboy (Sunny as Draco Malfoy).
In the following parts of Smudge Porker, most of the scenes of the film go with typical Monica's Gang jokes. These include the Chapéu Mágico (Magic Hat, Sorting Hat) and Professor Ex-Neipe (Nick Nope as Severus Snape). Afterwards, Smudge and his friends face the Rúfius de Três Cabeças (Three-Headed Rúfius, Fluffy). When the three arrive at the Common Room, they talk about a trapdoor they saw under Rúfius and comment about the possible relationship between that trapdoor and Hagridão's mysterious package.
Following the plot, Smudge and his friends plan to discover what Rúfius is guarding. Smudge convinces Hagridão to tell the secret about the package, after offering him chocolate. Hagridão tells that the dog is guarding a secret which only he and Dunimbusdore know. The trio then go to the ultra-forbidden sector of the library to find something about that secret, with the help of an invisibility cloak bought by Smudge in the Bruxanet (a Wizard's internet). They discover that Rúfius the three-headed dog is a Canis Tres Caput Capitis, a species that cannot stand music. They finally decide to face the dog guarding the trapdoor. Hermônica uses her magic to materialise a radio playing funk carioca (a Brazilian street music style), what allows them to successfully enter the trapdoor, to find a giant chess game with enchanted pieces (a parody of the Human Chess Game) with a game ready to be played. Cebolony and Hermônica play the game while Smudge cross the board.
Down the chambers, Smudge finds Professor Quinzel (Toddy as Professor Quirrell), who was hiding Feiodemorte in his turban. Smudge also discovers that Hagridão was hiding a red stone called Pedra Distracional (Distracting Stone), which distracts anyone who sees it. Then they start to battle, but shortly after, Smudge's Piglets appear and throw water on Feiodemorte, causing him to lose the battle. After defeated, Feiodemorte says he will be seen again in the future, because there are seven movies (a reference to the out-universe Harry Potter film series). In the last parts of the book, Smudge, Cebolony and Hermônica reunite again and Grifedória wins 50 house points. The ending scene shows Smudge running away in fear after discovering about the water vacation activities.
- Smudge (Cascão) as Cascão Porker (Harry Potter)
- Jimmy Five (Cebolinha) as Cebolony Uéslei (Ron Weasley)
- Monica (Mônica) as Hermônica Granja (Hermione Granger)
- Nimbus as Dunimbusdore (Albus Dumbledore)
- Maggy (Magali) as Magaligonagal (Minerva McGonagall)
- Thunder (Jotalhão) as Hagridão (Rubeus Hagrid)
- Nick Nope (Do Contra) as Professor Ex-Neipe (Severus Snape)
- Leleala (Pablo, Pierre and Sebastian) as Cascão's winged piglets (Hedwig)
- Captain Frey (Capitão Feio) as Feidodemorte (Lord Voldemort)
- Sunny (Xaveco) as Xavecus Malboy (Draco Malfoy)
- Doctor Soclean (Doutor Olimpo) as Varolimpo (Garrick Ollivander)
- Toddy (Quinzinho) as Professor Quinzel (Quirinus Quirrell)
- Jeremiah (Jeremias) as Quadrinhobol speaker (Lee Jordan)
- (Seu Antenor Araújo) (Cascão's father) as Sr. Porker (James Potter)
- (Dona Lurdinha) (Cascão's mother) as Sra. Porker (Lily Potter)
- (Rúfius) as Rúfius de três cabeças (Fluffy)
- Junior (Dudu) as Dudu Dudursley (Dudley Dursley)
- (Dona Cecilia, Dudu's mother) as Sra. Dudursley (Petunia Dursley)
- (Seu Durva, Dudu's father) as Sr. Dudusrsley (Vernon Dursley)
- Frank as Frank (Filch)
- (Cranicola) as Cranic Só A Cabeça (Cranic Only The Head, a parody of Nearly Headless Nick)
- Aunt Nina (Tia Nena) as Food Troller Lady
Monica's Gang jokes
Monica's Gang is a franchise little known outside Brazil. Foreign readers will likely not be familiar with the following jokes:
- Smudge is totally averse to water and consequently stinks very badly. He never washes his hands nor has he any direct contact with water.
- Maggy is greedy and loves eating.
- Jimmy Five has trouble speaking the letter R, always swapping it with L (in the original version) or W (in the English version). He has only five strands of hair.
- Monica often hits Jimmy Five and other boys with her stuffed blue rabbit in the comics because he likes to tease her.
- Captain Frey is a dirty supervillain rival to Smudge, who dreams to defeat him and become the dirtiest on Earth.
- The word "Porker" is a play with "Potter" and porco ("pig"). In Portuguese, the word pig is used for dirty and ill-bred people. Cascão is often called "porco".
- "Quadrinhobol" is a play with "Quadribol" (Portuguese translation for Quidditch) and quadrinho (Portuguese for "comics").
- In the Portuguese version of the Harry Potter series, Ron is referred as Rony. That explains the name "Cebolony".
Major plot differences in the parody
- The Dudursleys (Durselys) are kind towards Smudge (Harry), despite they are averse to his stink.
- Smudge's parents are locked in another dimension instead of killed.
- The scene of the Forbidden Forest does not appear.
- There's no Devil's Snare. Cascão, Cebolony and Hermônica pass directly from the three-headed dog to the chessboard in the traphole part.
- When Cascão and Hagridão enter in Beco Poligonal, we can see various characters related to magic. Among them Cosmo and Wanda de The Fairly Odd Parents, Panoramix from Asterix, the Masked Magician and many others. We can also see a caricature of Mauricio de Sousa (Monica's Gang creator and designer) as a wizard walking in the alley, with Yen Sid.