|Notable family members|
Carrow is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family. Alecto once viciously slashed the face of Neville Longbottom when he asked her how much Muggle blood she had, outraged by the anti-Muggle propaganda she taught as professor of Muggle Studies during the 1997–1998 school year, when Lord Voldemort was in control of the Ministry of Magic.
Possible Family Members
- Alecto Carrow — a Death Eater and professor of Muggle Studies during the 1997–1998 school year
- Amycus Carrow — a Death Eater and professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts (effectively the Dark Arts) during the 1997–1998 school year.
- Flora Carrow — a student at Hogwarts in the 1990s and member of the Slug Club
- Hestia Carrow — a student at Hogwarts in the 1990s and member of the Slug Club
- In English, the word; "Carrow", can refer to two places. "Carrow" in Norfolk, or "Carraw" in Northumberland. The first is assumed to have its name derived from the Old English word "carr", meaning "rock", and a word of Celtic origin; "hoh", meaning "spur of a hill". While the second appears to have been named either after the plural of the Old English word "carr", or after a mixture of a form of "carr", and another Old English word; "raw", meaning "row".
- It is also possible, that the surname was originally a shortnened version of the Cornish surname; "Nancarrow".
==Notes and references