|Notable family members|
Carrow is the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family, and one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. Alecto once viciously slashed the face of Neville Longbottom when he asked her how much Muggle blood she had, outraged by the anti-Muggle propaganda she taught as professor of Muggle Studies during the 1997–1998 school year, when Lord Voldemort was in control of the Ministry of Magic. They would punish the students by using the Cruciatus Curse on people in detention.
Possible Family Members
- Alecto Carrow — a Death Eater and professor of Muggle Studies during the 1997–1998 school year
- Amycus Carrow — a Death Eater and professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts (effectively the Dark Arts) during the 1997–1998 school year.
- Flora Carrow — a student at Hogwarts in the 1990s and member of the Slug Club
- Hestia Carrow — a student at Hogwarts in the 1990s and member of the Slug Club
- In English, the word; "Carrow", can refer to two places. "Carrow" in Norfolk, or "Carraw" in Northumberland. The first is assumed to have its name derived from the Old English word "carr", meaning "rock", and a word of Celtic origin; "hoh", meaning "spur of a hill". While the second appears to have been named either after the plural of the Old English word "carr", or after a mixture of a form of "carr", and another Old English word; "raw", meaning "row".
- It is also possible that the surname was originally a shortened version of the Cornish surname; "Nancarrow".