|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
- "That gives you equal status with prefects! You can use our special bathroom now and everything!"
- —The benefits of being a Quidditch captain[src]
It is unknown whether there is an age requirement for choosing captains (as prefects are chosen only from the fifth year students of each house), but as Harry Potter was appointed captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team in his sixth year, and Oliver Wood was appointed Captain of the Gryffindor team in his fourth year, an age requirement might not have existed. However, it is possible that Quidditch captains are only chosen from House Quidditch team members who are fifth year students or older. However, Fred and George Weasley said that they knew Oliver Wood's speech by heart, but this might only mean that Oliver gave pep talks to the team before the games and or practises. It is also proven that Quidditch captaincy is not a simple matter of seniority on the team, as shown in the case of Harry Potter. Harry Potter was made Quidditch captain in his sixth year, while a member of his team, Katie Bell, was a year older than him.
Only one Quidditch captain exists in a House at a time. Unlike prefects, where one boy and one girl are chosen from the fifth year, and remain as prefects in their sixth and seventh years, there are approximately six prefects per house(five if one is chosen to be Head Boy or Girl).
Captains are also given status equal to that of prefect, and are allowed to use the Prefects' bathroom. However, unlike prefects, captains are not allowed to dock points. Captains are generally responsible for their Quidditch teams and related duties only.
Second team position
Captains will also play one other position on their team: Beater, Chaser, Keeper or Seeker. When a Quidditch team member is appointed captain, they will retain their previous position as well as assuming their captain responsibilities.
Like prefects, captains are given a silver badge to wear on their school uniform, and on their Quidditch robes when they are playing in a match or practising. However, a prefect on the Quidditch team would not be required to wear his or her prefect badge on his or her Quidditch robes. The captain's badge is suspected to have the letter 'C' on it for 'Captain', as the prefect's badge has 'P' for 'prefect', and the Head Boy's and Head Girl's have 'HB' and 'HG' respectively.
Known captains at Hogwarts
- Katie Rayknolls (1724-28)
- Vicky Bishopper (1728-32)
- Robin Higgy (1732-36)
- Mark Sommertime (1736-40)
- Russell Lucky (1740-44)
- Dan Darker(1744-48)
- Jess Lafington (1748-52)
- Kris Kolumbiko (1752-56)
- David Makehay (1756-60)
- Mark Overcliff (1760-?)
- Winky Crockett (1940-1944)
- Neil Lament (1944 - 1948)
- Andrew Snowy Owl (1948-1952)
- Jo King (1952-1956)
- Rufus Winickus (1956-1960)
- Jody Jacknife (1960-1964)
- Stuart Craggy (1964-1968)
- Steve Laughalot (1968-1972)
- Emma Vanity (1972-1976)
- Lucinda Talkalot (1976-?)
- Marcus Flint (1991-1994)
- Urquhart (1996-1997) (Chaser)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)