Source of light
A candle is a stick of wax with a wick in the middle, used to light an area.
The Great Hall at Hogwarts was lit by thousands of floating candles. At Christmas time, advent ones are seen to be placed near the Head Table where the professors sit at meals. Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday party was lit by black candles with thin blue flames. Candles enchanted to burn without being consumed are also placed inside each suit of armour in the castle at Christmastime.
- Strings of enchanted candles are hung in the trees of Hogsmeade at Christmastime.
- A shop in Knockturn Alley sells poisonous candles.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the film Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, in the scene in which Harry is learning the Patronus charm, there are candles shaped in the form of a spinal column used to light the room. In each candle the separate pieces are marked with roman numerals.
- Candles have so far made many appearances in Pottermore amongst scenes, and there have also been two examples of different sorts; a simple white wax candle, and a jet black wax candle of a thicker nature.
- To work the Hand of Glory, one must simply insert a candle into it.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))