|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
A bubotuber is a type of magical plant, the visible part of which is said to resemble a large, thick, black slug. This portion of the plant also squirms of its own volition. The surface of a bubotuber is covered in shiny protrusions, which when squeezed yield a thick, yellowish-green pus that has an odour akin to that of gasoline/petrol.
Use of pus
Bubotuber pus acts as a treatment for severe acne, but undiluted pus can affect unprotected skin in unintended ways. This suggests that bubotuber pus is a topical treatment, but that the actual salve consists of the pus either diluted in a solution or mixed with other ingredients.
In her fourth year at Hogwarts, Hermione Granger was sent a letter full of bubotuber pus by an unknown person who evidently believed the slanderous Rita Skeeter article that claimed that Hermione was toying with the affections of both Harry Potter and Viktor Krum.
- The name "Bubotuber" seems to be a compound of the words "bubo", the swelling of the lymph nodes seemingly like a large blister that accompanies infections like the bubonic plague, tuberculosis, or syphilis, and "tuber", referring to the fleshy, thickened underground stem of a plant, usually containing stored starch, like a potato. Both seem to be in reference to the appearance of the plant.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)