The brown owl (binomial name Strix aluco aluco) is a subspecies of tawny owl, commonly found in woodlands across much of Eurasia. Its underparts are pale with dark streaks, and the upperparts are either brown or grey.
On 22 January, 1995, Harry Potter sent Sirius Black a letter by a brown owl informing him about the events that he had seen and overheard regarding Barty Crouch (or so he believed at the time), Severus Snape and Mad-Eye Moody (actually Bartemius Crouch Jr) the night that he visited the Prefects' bathroom to work out his golden egg clue. A brown owl was amongst the owls that delivered hate mail to Hermione Granger in February 1995 following the publication of the article "Harry Potter's Secret Heartache" in Witch Weekly.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)