Hold wand steady over the target.
Removes bones of the forearm.
- "As Harry got to his feet, he felt strangely lopsided. Taking a deep breath he looked down at his right side. What he saw nearly made him pass out again. Poking out of the end of his robes was what looked like a thick, fleshcoloured rubber glove. He tried to move his fingers. Nothing happened. Lockhart hadn't mended Harry's bones. He had removed them."
- —Description of this spell's effects.[src]
Brackium Emendo is the incantation for a spell (possibly a charm) that removes bones, at the very least those in the forearm. Gilderoy Lockhart claimed to have used this spell "countless times", though the veracity of this claim is dubious, given that he was mistaken of its effect. The effects of this spell can be reversed with Skele-Gro.
During a Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin in 1992, Harry Potter suffered a broken arm from a Bludger charmed by the house-elf Dobby, who was trying to force him to leave Hogwarts and thus be safe from the Serpent of Slytherin. Gilderoy Lockhart was the first to reach Harry after he landed and, thinking he was casting a spell to mend bones, used Brackium Emendo on him, requiring Harry to spend that night in the hospital wing regrowing his bones properly. This incident only served to deepen Harry and Ronald Weasley's dislike for Lockhart, though Hermione Granger attempted to justify it as a simple mistake.
"Brackium" coming from the Latin "Bracchium", meaning forearm. "Emendo" is Latin for "mend".
Behind the scenes
- It is unknown if this spell existed prior to its usage or if Gilderoy simply made it up on the fly. If so, this would explain its unintended effect.
- In certain translations of the Game Boy Colour version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the incantation Ossio Dispersimus is used instead.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First identified as Brackium Emendo)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game