At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Bowtruckle is immensely difficult to spot, being a hand-sized, insect eating, tree dweller with long sharp fingers (two on each hand), brown eyes, and a general appearance of a flat-faced little stickman made of bark and twigs, which serves well as camouflage in its natural habitat.
The Bowtruckle can be found in western England, southern Germany, and certain Scandinavian forests. A Bowtruckle serves as a tree guardian for its home tree, which is usually a tree whose wood is of wand quality (such as a Wiggentree). The twig-like fingers are well adapted for digging out wood lice in trees, and can also be used as a weapon against a foe when aimed at the eyes. It is generally a peaceful creature, but will become violent if anything threatens its tree, or even to itself. To take leaves or wood from a Bowtruckle's tree, one would have to offer it wood lice or fairy eggs as a distraction.
A group of Bowtruckles is called a branch.
The word "bow" was an old Scottish dialect means "dwelling," and "truckle" means "limb of tree" in old English dialect. This means "to take a subordinate position."
Behind the scenes
- At Comic-Con 2016, Eddie Redmayne choose a Bowtruckle Newt Scamander calls "Pickett" as his favourite beast in the film inspired by Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, bowtruckles help build wooden ladders in the Forbidden Forest.
- They are mentioned in is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1. (Hagrid: "I brought you here sixteen years ago when you were no bigger than a bowtruckle"). They also appear as characters in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- In the GBA version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they appear as enemies. When you go near a tree they live in, they can throw pieces of wood at you. To defeat them the player has to cast the Confundus Charm at them.
- In the PC version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Bowtruckles appear as enemies, whose offensive consists of throwing pieces of wood. Harry can cast Diffindo at them to defeat them, which earns him a piece of Wiggentree bark, one of the two ingredients in the Wiggenweld Potion. Unfortunately, due to the absence of enemies dropping Flobberworm Mucus upon defeat, this does tend to offset the player's balance of ingredients rather heavily.
- The pieces of wood thrown by them to hurt the player is actually Wiggentree bark.
- It is unknown why Bowtruckles are classified as harmless, given their aggression when their home tree or themselves are threatened.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC and PC versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned) (Exploding Snap Famous Wizards Card)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Dimensions
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 13 (Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 3: Out of the Woods
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Extended Featurette - Behind the Magic
- ↑ Facebook live chat
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|
|Magical Creatures by classification|