At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Bowtruckle is a hand-sized, insect-eating tree dweller with long sharp fingers (two on each hand), brown eyes, and a general appearance of a flat-faced stick figure made of bark and twigs, which serves well as camouflage in its natural habitat. They are immensely difficult to spot.
During the 1987–1988 school year, Bowtruckles were studied by fourth year Care of Magical Creatures students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, taught by Professor Silvanus Kettleburn, who described them to be slipperier than Frog Spawn Soap.
The Bowtruckle can be found in western England, southern Germany, and certain Scandinavian forests. A Bowtruckle serves as a tree guardian for its home tree, which is usually a tree whose wood is of wand quality (such as a Wiggentree). The twig-like fingers are well adapted for digging out wood lice in trees and can also be used as a weapon against a foe when aimed at the eyes. It is generally a peaceful creature but will become violent if anything threatens its tree or itself. To take leaves or wood from a Bowtruckle's tree one would have to offer it wood lice or fairy eggs as a distraction.
A group of Bowtruckles is called a branch.
The word "bow" was an old Scottish dialect means "dwelling," and "truckle" means "limb of tree" in old English dialect. This means "to take a subordinate position."
Behind the scenes
- At Comic-Con 2016, Eddie Redmayne choose a Bowtruckle Newt Scamander calls "Pickett" as his favourite beast in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, Bowtruckles help build wooden ladders in the Forbidden Forest.
- Hagrid mentions them in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 ("I brought you here sixteen years ago when you were no bigger than a bowtruckle").
- In the GBA version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they appear as enemies. When a player goes near a tree they live in, they can throw pieces of wood at him or her. To defeat them, the player has to cast the Confundus Charm at them.
- In the PC version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Bowtruckles appear as enemies, whose offensive consists of throwing pieces of wood. Harry can cast Diffindo at them to defeat them, which earns him a piece of Wiggentree bark, one of the two ingredients in the Wiggenweld Potion. Unfortunately, due to the absence of enemies dropping Flobberworm Mucus upon defeat, this does tend to offset the player's balance of ingredients rather heavily.
- The pieces of wood thrown by them to hurt the player is actually Wiggentree bark.
- It is unknown why Bowtruckles are classified as harmless given their aggression when their home tree or themselves are threatened.
- The Bowtruckle's use in lock-picking may be inspired by the rashnovik plant, a magical herb in Slavic mythology said to be able to unlock or uncover anything that is locked or closed regardless of size, material, or key. They were notoriously difficult or even impossible to find and identify, and could only be found by chthonic animals like snakes, tortoises, or hedgehogs.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC and PC versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only) (Exploding Snap Famous Wizards Card)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 3 (All About Bowtruckles) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Bowtruckle"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 13 (Detention with Dolores)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 3: Out of the Woods
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Extended Featurette - Behind the Magic
- ↑ Facebook live chat
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts star reveals which creatures return in sequel on EW.com
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Hippogriff · Flobberworm · Salamander · Blast-Ended Skrewt · Niffler · Unicorn · Thestral · Bowtruckle · Crup · Fire crab · Knarl · Kneazle · Porlock|
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|