Pure-blood (most likely)
Borgin and Burkes was established in 1863, but it is unknown whether Borgin was one of the founders of the shop, and, if not, when he started working there. From the 1920s to the 1940s, Caractacus Burke seemed to have been the one who handled business at the shop, as he bought Slytherin's locket from Merope Gaunt and was Tom Riddle 's employer until the latter left to pursue his own schemes c. 1947.
In 1992, Lucius Malfoy came to Borgin and Burkes to sell him several objects related to black magic, fearing that the Ministry of Magic would soon be investigating his mansion. Borgin seemed displeased that Malfoy did not want to buy anything, but tried to convince Malfoy's son Draco to buy the Hand of Glory. Once the Malfoys left, Borgin showed signs of disliking Malfoy, thinking that the objects Malfoy had brought him was only a small bit of what Malfoy was hiding in his mansion.
In 1996, Draco Malfoy came to Borgin to reserve the Vanishing Cabinet, which he planned to use to smuggle Death Eaters into Hogwarts. He also asked for instructions on how to repair the other Vanishing Cabinet, located in Hogwarts. Borgin was not sure how this would be possible without having the cabinet with him, but became much more cooperative when Draco showed him his Dark Mark and threatened to send Fenrir Greyback on regular checks if he would not succeed.
Hermione Granger tried to trick Borgin into telling her what Draco had been doing inside the shop, but Borgin easily saw through it and threw her out of the shop.
Behind the scenes
- Mr. Borgin was portrayed by Edward Tudor-Pole in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, but his scenes were cut.
- In one of the deleted scenes in the film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Borgin is seen taking back a coin from the stack when Lucius Malfoy isn't looking.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Borgin owns the Lumos spellbook.
- If Borgin truly founded the shop with Caractacus Burke in 1863, he would be well over 129 during 1992. While wizards have been known to live this long, it is unknown if he is intended to be this ancient or if he became Burke's business partner well after the shop was already established and eventually put his name first, possibly after Burke's death. However he could also be a descendant of the original Borgin.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Deleted scenes)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned on sign) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Mentioned on sign)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Cutscene only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references