The Boomslang Skin is skin shed from a Boomslang snake. The skin is mostly green in males and brown in females. It is an unusual potion ingredient, but is used in potions such as the Polyjuice Potion. Boomslang skin is not sold at the Apothecary in Diagon Alley, nor is it available in the student store-cupboard, but it can be found in the Potion master's private storage.
In 1992, Hermione Granger stole this ingredient from Snape's private storage in order to brew Polyjuice Potion as part of her, Harry and Rons' plan to try to get Draco Malfoy to admit that he was the Heir of Slytherin. In 1995, and possibly before, Bartemius Crouch Jr. stole this ingredient as well for the Polyjuice Potion needed to maintain his disguise as Alastor Moody. Snape later accused Harry of stealing it, though Harry incorrectly believed that Snape was referring to the 1992 incident, which Snape had long suspected him of being responsible for.
Behind the scenes
- The use of Boomslang skin in the Polyjuice Potion was chosen by J. K. Rowling to represent "a shedded outer body and a new inner".
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS/PSP versions)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes