|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains of a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
Boomslangs (Dispholidus typus) are relatively small, venomous colubrid snakes native to sub-Saharan Africa. The skin of a boomslang is mostly green in males and brown in females. A boomslang's diet consists mostly of small lizards and frogs, swallowed whole, though on occasion will eat mammals or birds (and their eggs). Their venom is highly poisonous, but slow to act.
Uses in Potions
The boomslang's skin is used in certain potions, most notably Polyjuice Potion. Boomslang skin is not a common Potion ingredient, but can be found in the private store room for the Potions professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
The English word "boomslang" is an English loan-word from Afrikaans or Dutch, "boom" meaning tree, and "slang" meaning snake.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (video game)
- Boomslang on Wikipedia.