|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|Bond of blood charm|
Prevents the murderer from killing a specific victim while he/she can still call specific living quarters 'home'
- Albus Dumbledore: "I put my trust, therefore, in your mother's blood. I delivered you to her sister, her only remaining relative."
- Harry Potter: "She doesn't love me. She doesn't give a damn —"
- Albus Dumbledore: "But she took you. She may have taken you grudgingly, furiously, unwillingly, bitterly, yet still she took you, and in doing so, she sealed the charm I placed upon you. Your mother's sacrifice made the bond of blood the strongest shield I could give you."
- Harry Potter: "I still don't --"
- Albus Dumbledore: "While you can still call home the place where your mother's blood dwells, there you cannot be touched or harmed by Voldemort. He shed her blood, but it lives on in you and her sister. Her blood became your refuge. You need return there only once a year, but as long as you can still call it home, there he cannot hurt you. Your aunt knows this. I explained what I had done in the letter I left, with you, on her doorstep. She knows that allowing you houseroom may well have kept you alive for the past fifteen years."
- — Albus Dumbledore to Harry Potter[src]
The bond of blood charm is a charm that can be cast after a Sacrificial Protection is made. The target must be related to the sacrificed person to work properly and the target can then be protected from a murderer, as long as he or she can still call the sacrificed person's blood-relative's living quarters 'home'.
This powerful charm was cast by Albus Dumbledore on Harry Potter in 1981 after Lily Potter threw herself between Harry and the Darkest Wizard of all time and 'Chief Death Eater' Lord Voldemort, when the latter tried to kill Harry. Lily refused to step aside and was brutally murdered which made the Sacrificial Protection and allowed this charm to be cast. The charm was ultimately sealed when Lily's blood-relative and sister Petunia Dursley took Harry into her house. This prevented Voldemort, and actually anybody else, from hurting Harry until the day he turned seventeen, or when he could no longer call the house at Privet Drive his home.