Gringotts Bank teller
Bogrod (d. 1 May, 1998) was a goblin and a bank teller at Gringotts Wizarding Bank in the late 1990s. In 1998, during their break-in of Gringotts Wizarding Bank, Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger put Bogrod under the Imperius Curse in order to enter Lestrange Vault undetected. Whilst the trio tried to escape, Bogrod was burnt to death by the security dragon.
- " […] an old goblin who was examining a thick gold coin through an eyeglass."
Bogrod was apparently an elder Goblin. At some point in his life, he was employed by Gringotts Wizarding Bank and worked in the capacity of bank teller at the main offices in Diagon Alley, by the 1990s.
1998 Gringotts break-In and death
- Bogrod: "You have… identification?"
- Hermione Granger (as Bellatrix Lestrange): "Identification? I — I have never been asked for identification before!"
- Bogrod: "Your wand will do, madam."
- Harry Potter: " Imperio!"
- — Bogrod asks for "Bellatrix"'s identification, and Harry Potter, under the Invisibility Cloak, places him under the Imperius Curse.[src]
As part of the hunt for Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes, Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger had to break into the Lestrange Vault at Gringotts Wizarding Bank to retrieve Helga Hufflepuff's cup.
On 1 May, 1998, Hermione Granger, disguised as Bellatrix Lestrange; Ronald Weasley, disguised as "Dragomir Despard"; Harry Potter and Griphook, both under the Invisibility Cloak, set off to Diagon Alley. Upon their arrival at the bank, they were joined by Travers, a Death Eater. Given the recent events at Malfoy Manor, after which the occupants were confined to the Manor, Bellatrix's presence at the Bank aroused Travers's and Goblins' suspicion, so Harry Potter placed him and Bogrod, the clerk who was checking Bellatrix's identification, under the Imperius Curse so that they cooperated.
While Travers was sent away, Bogrod escorted them on a cart through the underground levels of the bank. The cart went through the Thief's Downfall, after which Bogrod regained his conscious self momentarily before Harry Potter cast another Imperius Curse at him.
Bogrod lead them past the security dragon, and opened the door to the Lestrange Vault to them. When the treasure inside began to multiply as a result of the Geminio and Flagrante Curses being placed on it as a security measure, Hermione and Ron had to struggle to keep Bogrod from falling under the tide. When Griphook left the Vault with Godric Gryffindor's Sword and joined the Goblins that tried to stop the trio Bogrod left too and, still confused by the Imperius Curse cast on him, stood within the security dragon's reach and was subsequently burned to death by a jet of fire it breathed.
Behind the scenes
- Bogrod was portrayed by Jon Key in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- Despite this line was cut from the final film, the original Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 screenplay included a line in which an Imperiused Bogrod intimidates another Goblin to let "Madam Lestrange" into her vault by saying "I've run this bank for forty-five years, long before anyone had even heard of a Death Eater. The day may come that they feel they can run this place better than me, but that day has not yet arrived. Am I understood?"
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Bogrod fails to escape with Griphook and is scorched to death by the dragon. In the book, what happened to Bogrod is unspecified, and we last hear of him when Ron and Hermione struggle to keep him from falling under the tide of multiplying gold at the Lestrange Vault. His remains were never shown except in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 where his skeleton appears after getting burned.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 26 (Gringotts)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 24 (The Wandmaker)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1697773/
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 screenplay by Steve Kloves