|Full Body-Bind Curse|
- " Petrificus Totalus, or the Full Body-Bind, stiffens a person’s limbs so they cannot move. Only the person’s eyes are free while the spell is in effect."
The Full Body-Bind Curse, also known as the Body Freezing Spell (Petrificus Totalus) is a curse that paralyses the opponent. It is often used by inexperienced or young wizards in duelling. This curse can be found in Curses and Counter-Curses by Vindictus Viridian.
The victim's arms and legs snap together, and he/she will fall down, stiff as a board. However the person's skills to hear, see (however just straight forward), feel, and think still work properly.
- "Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board. Neville's jaws were jammed together so he couldn't speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at them in horror."
- The root of this curse's incantation seems to be the Latin words petra, "rock", and totus, "whole" or "entire".
- Also, pertrificus seems to come from the word "petrify", meaning to turn into stone, or describes a manner in which someone takes on the characteristics of a stone. Totalus likely comes from "Total", meaning complete or wholly. Following this, the spell likely means, entirely petrify.
Behind the scenes
- In the Cast-a-Spell training room, when the spell is cast it seems to coat the victim (a snake) in ice.
- When Dumbledore immobilizes Harry, the latter says, in wondering how it could have happened, that it was a Freezing Charm (Dumbledore had done so wandlessly and nonverbally). However, less than a few pages later, after Dumbledore is killed, he notes that the Full Body-Bind had lifted.
- In the films and video games, this spell occasionally appears blue, white or purple.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Non-canonical appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS version)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Warner Bros. Harry Potter Official Site
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Pottermore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Cast-a-Spell kit found in the Library section of the Harry Potter Official Site
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
|Spells included in the book: Full Body-Bind Curse · Leg-Locker Curse · Jelly-Legs Curse · Pimple Jinx · Stickfast Hex · Tickling Hex · Tongue-Tying Curse · Hair Loss Curse|