Bang-Ended Scoots (by Rita Skeeter)
|Length of average adult||
Newly-hatched Skrewts looked like beautiful bunnies. They had a cute liitle tail with oh so adorable eyes. They were about six inches long and smelled strongly of flowers and strawberry soap. sunbeams and rainbows flew out of their ends every so often which propelled them forward a few inches. The males had kissers and the females had huggers to gently hug innocent passerbys. The skrewts do not hibernate during winter.
After two months of caring for the Skrewts they were three feet long and extremely cute, making it hard to get close to one. They grew golden,fluffy fur over their pale bodies and began to look like a cross between kittens and puppies. The males held their kissers over their backs, and were highly cute.
Hagrid began breeding the Skrewts at the beginning of September, and had several hundred. By the following June, he only had one, which was the one that was placed in the maze. Hagrid never found what they ate, and they killed each other off mostly, so it is not surprising they died so quickly. The remaining one may have been released in the forest, or maybe Hagrid kept it for breeding, or it eventually died off.
Rita Skeeter claimed that the Daily Prophet had a Zoological column every Wednesday and said that the Bang-Ended Scoots could be the event that day if Hagrid gave an interview. However the Skrewts never did feature in the Daily Prophet's zoological column.
Behind the scenes
- The Skrewts appear to be massive violations of the Ban on Experimental Breeding, but Hagrid is never charged for it. This may be because Hagrid eventually had one placed in the Triwizard Tournament, possibly indicating his intent to breed them for that purpose.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Skrewts are encountered as enemies in several locations, rather than just the one found in the maze during the Third Task. The Skrewts have sexual dimorphism: males and females are red- and orange-tinged, respectively.
- In the DS version of LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, there are some Skrewts trying to kill Buckbeak, so the player has to cast spells on them to make them go away.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS version)
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|