1997 or earlier
- "Harry looked down at the blackthorn wand. Every minor spell he had cast with it so far that day had seemed less powerful than those he had produced with his phoenix wand. The new one felt intrusively unfamiliar, like having somebody else's hand sewn to the end of his arm."
- —Harry Potter's usage on the wand.[src]
When he returned to his friends Harry Potter and Hermione Granger shortly afterwards, he gave this wand to Harry, whose wand had been accidentally broken by Hermione when she repelled Nagini from him with a Blasting Curse when they were attacked in Godric's Hollow. The blackthorn wand was mentioned to be clumsy and unwieldy compared to his original wand. Also the wand seemed to not only cast weaker spells but required more effort to cast them.
Harry found that the wand did not work very well for him, as he had not won it himself. After a skirmish in Malfoy Manor in 1998, Harry would use Draco Malfoy's wand, until repairing his own with the Elder Wand. The Blackthorn wand was left at Malfoy Manor along with Hermione Granger's wand and Ronald Weasley's wand.
Known spells produced
- Engorgio (spider)
- Reducio (spider)
- Wingardim Leviosa (stones)
- Lumos (no proof, but his wand was lit)
Behind the Scenes
- The blackthorn wand looks very similar in shape to Bellatrix Lestrange's first wand, note the curved bend on the wand.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1