|"Then he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name rearranged themselves..."|
- Fred Weasley: "...before he went loopy he was the life and soul of the party. He used to down an entire bottle of Firewhiskey, then run on to the dance floor, hoist up his robes and start pulling bunches of flowers out of his –"
- Hermione Granger: "Yes, he sounds a real charmer."
- — Fred Weasley on his uncle Bilius[src]
Bilius was a pure-blood wizard and a brother of Molly Weasley. A lifelong bachelor, he was fun-loving and lively, but was prone to eccentric behaviour. He reportedly died twenty-four hours after seeing a Grim.
Bilius never married and presumably had no children. According to his nephews, Fred and George Weasley, he was always a joker, and was fun to have at weddings and parties. On more than one occasion, he was said to have consumed an entire bottle of Firewhiskey and then run to the dance floor, where he lifted his robes and began to pull bouquets of flowers out of an alarming part of his body.
"Bilious" is the adjective for 'bile,' a yellowish-green secretion of the liver. The word "bilious" goes back to the old belief that there were four bodily humours (black bile, yellow bile, phlegm, and blood) and these four humours determined a person's temperament. "Bilious" was the personality type associated with an excess of yellow bile, and indicates a peevish, ill-natured disposition.
Behind the scenes
- It was previously presumed that Bilius was Arthur Weasley's brother because he was one of three children, but did not give the names of his two brothers. However, as both brothers were seen at Bill Weasley's wedding four years after he was mentioned to be deceased, this is impossible.
- Bilius seemed prone outrageous behaviour, and is hinted to be an alcoholic.
- He is distantly linked to the House of Black through his sister's marriage to Arthur Weasley, son of Septimus and Cedrella Black.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)