|This article is non-canon.
This article covers a subject that has been deemed non-canon by either the author or the Harry Potter licensees, and thus should not be taken as a part of the "real" Harry Potter universe.
Bem (born c. 1979-1980) was a Nigerian wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1991 to 1998. He was Sorted into Gryffindor and is in Harry Potter's year, however he does not dorm with Harry and friends.
Born in Britain or Ireland, despite being Nigerian in descent, Bem began his education at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1991, along with students Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. He was Sorted into the house of Gryffindor, but would not share a dormitory with the other known Gryffindor boys in his year. During Bem's second year, the school would be under attack from a Basilisk. Many students became petrified. Hogwarts was under threat of being closed. Bem was not a mentioned casualty.
He was a black boy with dark eyes and a round face. Slightly overweight with a lisp.
The name Bem means "peace" in the language of the Tiv, of Nigeria and Cameroon and also means "good" or "well" in Portuguese. "BEM" is also an abbreviation for British Empire Medal, a medal received from British royalty for meritorious civil or military service, which reflects Bem being Sorted into Gryffindor.
Behind the scenes
- Like the character Nigel Wolpert, Bem is not mentioned in the books, but is credited in the films. Played by Ekow Quartey, the character is listed in the credits for Prisoner of Azkaban as simply "Boy 1". However, on the Prisoner of Azkaban DVD, the closed captions identify the character as "Bem" during the Divination class scene.
- Bem cannot be considered canon, as the books identify in several places that there are only five Gryffindor boys in Harry's year: Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas.
- Bem also makes an appearance as a member of Dumbledore's Army in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. His house was changed to Ravenclaw, probably to correct their mistake of putting him in Gryffindor last time. He appears in the credits as Ravenclaw boy.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Bem's age can be extrapolated from his presence during the third-year Divination class in the Prisoner of Azkaban film.
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000 - "Hogwarts just serves Britain and Ireland."
- ↑ He was not sent away from Hogwarts while it had been taken over by Death Eaters, so he was not Muggle-born.
- ↑ Closed captioning on the DVD release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ Prisoner of Azkaban script on IMSDb (archived here via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ Bem attended Hogwarts. Hogwarts only accepts wizards from Britain and Ireland, so despite being Nigerian in descent, Bem must have been born in England
- ↑ He did not appear in CoS, but still the CHARACTER would still be at Hogwarts, even if introduced later, just like Luna, she still attended Hogwarts before OotP but was never mentioned really.
- ↑ The New Age Baby Name Book by Sue Browder