Beater is a position in the Wizarding sport of Quidditch. There are two Beaters on every Quidditch team, and they are the only players on the pitch who have bats. Their job is to keep the Bludgers away from their team and at the same time try and aim the Bludgers towards the opposite team.
Beaters have probably existed in the game of Quidditch since the introduction of the Bludger. Beaters are not meant to be goal scorers, and there is no indication that any Beater has ever handled the Quaffle during gameplay.
Beaters need to be well built, having considerable physical strength in their arms since they are charged with hitting the Bludgers throughout the whole match. Because of this, most of the beaters throughout history have been wizards rather than witches playing in this position. However, there have been exceptions, such as the famous Captain of the Holyhead Harpies, Gwenog Jones, among others. Beaters also need to have good balance, as they are, at times, required to take both hands off their broomstick.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
|Officials: Quidditch referee|
|Player positions: Beater • Chaser • Keeper • Seeker|
|Playing equipment: Beater's bat • Bludger • Broomstick • Golden Snitch • Quaffle|