- "Babble" is an English word meaning "a foolish character" or "the sound of murmuring water". Perhaps more to the point, "to babble" in modern vernacular use describes the act of speaking very fast, often in an obscure jargon (as in the phrase "technobabble") — which is fitting for the cryptic language that are the Ancient Runes taught by Babbling.
- The similar name of "Bathsheba" is the name of the biblical wife of David and mother to Solomon.
Behind the scenes
- Professor Babbling's name only appeared on a list of the Hogwarts professors which was released on J. K. Rowling's website.
- Rowling may originally have intended a male teacher to teach this subject.
- The Unidentified female Hogwarts teacher may be Bathsheda Babbling.
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site (First mentioned)
Notes and references
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|