Basilisk venom is an extremely poisonous and corrosive substance generated by said species. Basilisk venom is so powerful that it can kill a person within minutes, making the person drowsy and blurry-visioned before they die, and is apparently extremely long-lasting, as Hermione Granger was able to use the venom from the fang of a Basilisk that was dead for nearly five years. The venom is one of the few substances known to be capable of destroying Horcruxes. It only has one known cure: phoenix tears, which happens to be very rare, increasing the venom's deadliness.
The effect of the venom
In 1993, Harry Potter stabbed the roof of the Basilisk's mouth with Godric Gryffindor's Sword, and ended up getting a fang stuck in his arm. Fawkes then healed his arm using his tears. When Harry had defeated the Basilisk, he stabbed Tom Riddle's Diary with the fang, destroying that Horcrux beyond magical repair. Because Harry had stabbed the Basilisk with it, the sword was imbued with Basilisk venom, and was therefore able to destroy Horcruxes as well.
In 1998, during the Battle of Hogwarts, Ron and Hermione went down to the Chamber of Secrets and destroyed Helga Hufflepuff's Cup with a Basilisk fang. Neville Longbottom used Godric Gryffindor's Sword to kill Nagini.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (As basilisk fang)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (As Basilisk fang)
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets (As Basilisk fang)