- "A healthy mind is an inquisitive mind."
- —Basil Fronsac's portrait[src]
Professor Basil Fronsac was a wizard. A scholar and a supporter of Ravenclaw, he was appointed as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry sometime before Armando Dippet. There is a portrait of him hung in the Headmaster's office, in order to give advice to the current Head, and several others of a younger him on the Castle's main halls.
By 1995, his portrait was hung at the Grand Staircase. The portrait guarded a shortcut leading to the second-floor corridor, near the Library. He held a pocket watch and his password was "Studious Success". He would be happy to help any "inquisitive minds" that could find out where Rowena Ravenclaw came from.
Behind the scenes
- The portrait of the middle-aged Basil Fronsac appears to be a direct homage to a portrait of Henry James.
The name "Basil" is from the Greek name "Βασιλειος" ("Basileios"), which was derived from "βασιλευς" ("basileus"), meaning "king". Saint Basil the Great was a 4th-century bishop of Caesarea and one of the fathers of the early Christian church. It was also borne by two Byzantine emperors.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ The clothing worn by Basil on his portrait reveals that he was portrayed during the 1910s. By the 1910s he was already a middle-aged wizard, as evidenced by his sparse, white hair.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) DVD (Disc 2 - Dumbledore's Office)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
Armoury · Charms Corridor · Class 34 · Classroom 2E · Classroom 3C · Clock Tower Entrance · Flipendo Challenge · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor Corridor · Hesperius Hall · Jinx Rooms · Library · One-Eyed Witch Passage · Storeroom · Third Floor Corridor · Trophy Room · Turret Stairwell · Vastus Vestibule
Basil Fronsac · Brutus Scrimgeour · Damara Dodderidge · Drunk Monks · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor · Helena Ravenclaw · Merwyn the Malicious · Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington · Shepherdess · Tenem Musacitz · Termeritus Shanks · Valeria Myriadd · Witch in green · Witch in Pompadour hairstyle Wizard in black · Wizard in red ·