- "A healthy mind is an inquisitive mind."
- —Basil Fronsac's portrait[src]
Professor Basil Fronsac was a wizard. A scholar and a supporter of Ravenclaw, he was appointed as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry sometime before Armando Dippet. There is a portrait of him hung in the Headmaster's office, in order to give advice to the current Head, and several others of a younger him on the Castle's main halls.
By 1995, his portrait was hung at the Grand Staircase. The portrait guarded a shortcut leading to the second-floor corridor, near the Library. He held a pocket watch and his password was "Studious Success". He would be happy to help any "inquisitive minds" that could find out where Rowena Ravenclaw came from.
Behind the scenes
- The portrait of the middle-aged Basil Fronsac appears to be a direct homage to a portrait of Henry James.
- Due to the Greek Orthodox tradition of naming children after saints, it is possible that Basil was of Greek ancestry.
The name "Basil" is from the Greek name "Βασιλειος" ("Vasileios"), which was derived from "βασιλευς" ("Basileus"), meaning "king". Saint Basil the Great was a 4th-century bishop of Caesarea and one of the fathers of the early Christian church. It was also borne by two Byzantine emperors.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ The clothing worn by Basil on his portrait reveals that he was portrayed during the 1910s. By the 1910s he was already a middle-aged wizard, as evidenced by his sparse, white hair.
- ↑ According to J.K. Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival (J.K. Rowling at the Edinburgh Book Festival (15 August, 2004) source), headmasters only get their portrait hung in the office if they die holding the title of headmaster. As Armando Dippet was headmaster from at least 1943 until being succeeded by Albus Dumbledore, Professor Fronsac must have died at some point before 1943.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) DVD (Disc 2 - Dumbledore's Office)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
Armoury · Charms Corridor · Class 34 · Classroom 2E · Classroom 3C · Clock Tower Entrance · Flipendo Challenge · Lumos Challenge · Wingardium Leviosa Challenge · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor Corridor · Hesperius Hall · Jinx Rooms · The Tower · Library · One-Eyed Witch Passage · Storeroom · Third Floor Corridor · Trophy Room · Trophy Secret Passage · Turret Stairwell · Vastus Vestibule
Basil Fronsac · Brutus Scrimgeour · Damara Dodderidge · Drunk Monks · Google Flange · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor · Helena Ravenclaw · Merwyn the Malicious · Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington · Shepherdess · Temeritus Shanks · Valeria Myriadd · Witch in green · Witch in Pompadour hairstyle · Wizard in black · Wizard in red