- "A healthy mind is an inquisitive mind."
- —Basil Fronsac's portrait[src]
Professor Basil Fronsac was a wizard. A scholar and a supporter of Ravenclaw, he was appointed as Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry sometime before Armando Dippet. There is a portrait of him hung in the Headmaster's office, in order to give advice to the current Head, and several others of a younger him on the Castle's main halls.
Portrait at Hogwarts
By 1995, his portrait was hung at the Grand Staircase. The portrait guarded a shortcut leading to the second-floor corridor, near the Library. He held a pocket watch and his password was "Studious Success". He would be happy to help any "inquisitive minds" that could find out where Rowena Ravenclaw came from.
Behind the scenes
- The portrait of the middle-aged Basil Fronsac appears to be a direct homage to a portrait of Henry James.
- Due to the Greek Orthodox tradition of naming children after saints, it is possible that Basil was of Greek ancestry.
The name "Basil" is from the Greek name "Βασιλειος" ("Vasileios"), which was derived from "βασιλευς" ("Basileus"), meaning "king". Saint Basil the Great was a 4th-century bishop of Caesarea and one of the fathers of the early Christian church. It was also borne by two Byzantine emperors.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Making of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ The clothing worn by Basil on his portrait reveals that he was portrayed during the 1910s. By the 1910s he was already a middle-aged wizard, as evidenced by his sparse, white hair.
- ↑ J. K. Rowling stated at the Edinburgh Book Festival on 15 August 2014 (source) that all portraits at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are of deceased individuals. Thus, Fronsac must have died sometime in or before 1992, given his portrait's appearance in the Headmaster's office in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) DVD (Disc 2 - Dumbledore's Office)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)