|Barking Mad Male Gargoyle|
- Harry: "Excuse me, can you talk?"
- Gargoyle: "No!"
- Ron: "But you just did."
- Gargoyle: "No I didn't."
- Ron: "Then who did?"
- Gargoyle: "She did. That one there. The one with the bushy hair!"
- Hermione: "My hair is not bushy! Ron, is my hair bushy?"
- Ron: "No - well - only a bit."
- Hermione: "It's been windy, and I've been busy."
- — Finding one of the five talking gargoyles.[src]
The Barking Mad Male Gargoyle is one of the talking gargoyles in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is located on a balcony on the the fourth floor of the castle. It would randomly spout nonsense, or repeatedly insist that it could not speak.
During the 1995–1996 school year, Professor Binns assigned his Fifth year students the task of listing five talking gargoyles as a homework assignment. Harry Potter located the gargoyles as a favour to Dean Thomas so that he could attend the first meeting of Dumbledore's Army in the Room of Requirement.
Like the others, casting Incendio on the gargoyle would cause it to breathe fire.
Behind the scenes
- The gargoyle was voiced by Jonathan Kydd in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- The gargoyle's name was identified during the game's credits.
- Other conversations with the gargoyle:
- "Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits, rabbits."
- —Conversation 1[src]
- "You must be confusing me with someone else. I can't talk, not me. I haven't said a word my whole life."
- —Conversation 2[src]
- "Sorry, there's no one here."
- —Conversation 3[src]
- "You must be imagining things. I can't hear anyone talking."
- —Conversation 4[src]
- "Shhh, listen. Can you hear that? See, there's no one talking here. There's no one here at all."
- —Conversation 5[src]
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (First appearance)
Class 67 · Cuthbert Binns's office · Fourth Floor balcony · Fourth Floor Corridor · Fourth Floor hospital tower corridor · Hogwarts Library · Mirror of Erised storage room · Restricted Section · Study Area