The Banshee (Gaelic spelling beannsidhe) is a Dark creature native to Ireland and Scotland. Banshees have the appearance of women and their cries are fatal to anyone that hears them. The Laughing Potion is effective against them.
The Bandon Banshee was supposedly defeated by Gilderoy Lockhart, which he described in his book Break with a Banshee; though he admitted to stealing credit for his books. The only thing known about the actual witch who defeated the Bandon Banshee was that she had a hairy chin.
The singer Celestina Warbeck is known to perform with a backing group of banshees, demonstrating not all Banshees are malevolent. Another possible banshee was the Bogle-banshee, mentioned by a student on the "Second Year Essential Knowledge Test" that Gilderoy Lockhart gave his second year Defence Against the Dark Arts class in 1992.
Biology and description
Banshees have the appearance of a woman with floor length black hair, a skeletal face, and green skin. A banshee's scream is fatal to the ears, in a manner similar to fully grown Mandrakes.
Behind the scenes
- Mrs Mason "screamed like a banshee" when the owl post letter warning Harry Potter about his supposed Underage magic transgression (actually committed by Dobby) was dropped on her head.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Seen as boggart)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Daily Prophet Newsletters
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Pottermore (Seen as boggart)