Ballet is a formalised kind of performance dance, which originated in the Italian Renaissance courts of the fifteenth century, and which was further developed in France, Russia, and Britain as a concert dance form.
A wizard named Barnabas the Barmy once attempted to train a group of trolls in ballet, although this did not end well for him. A moving tapestry depicting this ill-fated attempt was located in the Seventh-floor corridor of Hogwarts Castle, opposite the entrance to the Room of Requirement. The special move for the French National team of Quidditch is known as the Blitzen Ballet.
During the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin Quidditch match in 1992, Draco Malfoy asked Harry Potter if he was training for the ballet as Harry was forced to perform a complicated series of moves on his broomstick to avoid a rogue bludger.
Behind the scenes
- When the Dursleys departed 4 Privet Drive in 1997 and Dudley Dursley asked why Harry Potter wasn't coming with them, they stared at him "as though he had just expressed a desire to become a ballerina."
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Appears on a tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Appears on a tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears on a tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned as "ballerina")
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault