Avery (born c. 1920s) was a pure-blood or half-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Slytherin House. He was a member of Tom Riddle's gang when they attended Hogwarts, and was a member of the Slug Club.
Avery attended Hogwarts at the same time as Tom Riddle, and was sorted into Slytherin House. He became a member of Riddle's gang, and was a favourite student of Horace Slughorn. Avery was present at the same Slug Club meeting in 1944 or 1945 as Tom Riddle and was reprimanded by the Potions Master for failing to hand in a particular essay. After Hogwarts Avery became one of the first Death Eaters.
Avery likely fought in many battles during the First Wizarding War. It's unknown if he was killed, imprisoned, or escaped capture after his master's downfall. If he was still alive he may have also fought in many battles during the Second Wizarding War, including the Battle of Hogwarts, however he likely would've been killed or sent to Azkaban after the battle assuming he wasn't already dead.
Avery is an English surname derived from an Old French version of the name Alfred. The meaning of the name is derived from the Old English words aelf, meaning elf, and raed, meaning counsel.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore - The Sacred Twenty-Eight Pure-blood directory includes the Avery family. As this Avery was born before 1930, he would have likely been factored in and could not have been a Muggle or Muggle-born
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince