|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
The attack on London was a minor conflict that took place on 24 June, 1996, during the Second Wizarding War, in which a small group of Death Eaters led by Fenrir Greyback Apparated into London, stormed into Diagon Alley and destroyed several establishments, and then proceeded to tear the Millennium Bridge down.
On the day of the attack, the Dark Mark appeared over London and, moments later, the small group of Death Eaters stormed through Charing Cross Road and the Leaky Cauldron, and broke into Diagon Alley. For as of yet unknown reasons, they ransacked Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, killing Florean Fortescue himself. They also assaulted Ollivanders and the wandmaker chose to come with them quietly; no signs of struggle were left to be found. Taking stacks of wands to arm their fast growing legions with them, the Death Eaters proceeded to quickly Disapparate.
They Apparated back into Muggle London, heading to Millennium Bridge. They flew around the bridge in a spiral motion to create a twisting and buckling movement on the bridge walkway. The cables snapping, the bridge undulated and twisted intensely, pulling free of its piers, ultimately splitting in half and crashing violently into the Thames below, killing some Muggles who were crossing the bridge at the time.
Behind the scenes
- While the bridge to be destroyed is the Brockdale Bridge in the book, the Millennium Bridge in the film and games, a picture in the Daily Prophet shows the Dark Mark hovering in the air above the Tower Bridge.
- The prop depicting an issue of The Guardian used in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (visible and readable on Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films) has this event taking place on 24 June, 1996. This particular date was the one-year anniversary of the Rebirth of Tom Riddle.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ According to Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image), The Guardian reported, on 5 July, that the collapse of the Millennium Bridge had taken place 11 days prior — 11 days before 5 July is 24 June.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Chapter 1
- ↑ PotterCast Interview with J.K. Rowling
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- ↑ Inside the New Harry Potter Movie's VFX Tech at Popular Mechanics.
- ↑ In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film), a headline on the Daily Prophet is visible stating: "Bridge Collapse: Death Toll Rises"