|Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass)|
Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass) (born c. 1982) was a pure-blood witch. Astoria attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She eventually married Draco Malfoy, who was two years ahead of her and in the same House as Daphne. The couple had at least one son together, Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy, whom they saw off at King's Cross Station for his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 2017.
The name Astoria may be derived from the London Astoria, a music venue in London, England, or the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, a famously luxurious hotel in New York City. This hotel was named after the Astors, a very wealthy and influential American family (Astoria is also the name of a neighborhood in Queens, New York). The name may also be related to Astraea, a daughter of Zeus in Greek mythology who personified justice. Astraea is derived from Greek meaning "star-maiden"; this may relate to her husband's maternal family often naming its members after stars and constellations. The name may also be spelled Asteria, as shown on the Weasley Family Tree. Like Hyperion—her son Scorpius' middle name—Asteria is the name of one of the Titans of Greek mythology.
Behind the scenes
- Astoria is played by Jade Olivia, Tom Felton's real life girlfriend, in the epilogue scene of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- J. K. Rowling has said that she chose to have Draco marry someone other than Pansy Parkinson, who seems to have been his girlfriend during his adolescence, because she always hated Pansy, who represented "the girls who teased me when I was at school". She has referred to Pansy as "the anti-Hermione".
- Astoria is the only character addressed in the epilogue that the regular trio don't know, although the fact that they know about Scorpius might mean that they do know her, they just call her "Draco's wife". Also, in a school context, a two year gap is considerable, and since even her sister was barely peripheral to the central trio's world, they may well not have been truly aware of her until she joined the house of Malfoy.
- As her sister Daphne was sorted into Slytherin, it is likely that Astoria was sorted into Slytherin as well.
- Astoria's maiden name, Greengrass, could refer to one of the Slytherin House colours, green.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance) (Identified only as Draco's wife)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ Astoria's son was described as pure-blood by Ron Weasley in the Epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, indicating that Astoria would have been pure-blood herself.
- ↑ J.K. Rowling PotterCast Interview
- ↑ TIME magazine - JK Rowling answers 10 questions about Harry
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue
- ↑ Waldorf-Astoria Article on Wikipedia
- ↑ HP Lexicon: Weasley Family Tree
- ↑ http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/06/08/harry-potter-star-tom-felton-gets-hitched-on-screen-with-real-life-girlfriend-115875-22318222/
- ↑ PotterCast interview