Long and slender
Asphodel (also known as Royal Staff) is a member of the lily family and has long and slender leaves. It is found worldwide and has both magical and non-magical uses. Powdered root of Asphodel is used in the creation of various potions, such as the Draught of Living Death, and the Wiggenweld Potion.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Asphodel (Asphodelus ramosus) is native to Europe. The ancient Greeks associated it with the death and the underworld, believing there was a meadow of asphodel in Elysian Fields, and considered it sacred to Persephone, goddess of the spring and queen of the underworld. Asphodel was once believed to be a favourite food of the dead, and so was commonly planted near graves.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)