At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Frozen eggs are a common ingredient in potions, particularly Love Potions. They can also be swallowed whole as an antidote to ague. An Ashwinder egg is essential to the creation of Felix Felicis.
Some enlarged Ashwinder eggs played a large part in the ending of the Hogwarts school pantomime tradition. In the play The Fountain of Fair Fortune, an Ashwinder was supplied by Professor Kettleburn to play the 'blind and bloated' worm. The Ashwinder was enlarged with the use of an Engorgement Charm; however things got out of control, and the Ashwinder laid its eggs. These eggs, presumed to be enlarged like the Ashwinder, set fire to the floorboards in the Great Hall and ended the Hogwarts pantomime tradition.
Behind the scenes
- The eggs were featured in the mobile version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and can be found on top of the Astronomy Tower. Why they were there is unknown.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (PSP/NintendoDS/Mobile and website version only)
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)