1825 (aged 71)
Minister Artemisia Lufkin (1754—1825) was a witch. A Hufflepuff in her Hogwarts years, Lufkin later became an accomplished Minister for Magic from 1798 to 1811, the first female ever to hold the office, being elected at least twice.
Artemisia was born in 1754, somewhere in the British Isles, to at least one magical parent. In her youth, she attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from around 1765 to 1772, where she was Sorted into Hufflepuff.
As Minister for Magic
Death and post-mortem
On 1 September, 1991, Prefect Gabriel Truman welcomed the Hufflepuff first years to Hufflepuff Basement with a short speech in which he mentioned former Minister Artemisia Lufkin as one of the many notable Hogwarts students who had been Sorted, like them, into Hufflepuff.
- Artemisia is a feminine form of Artemisios, a Greek name which derived from Artemis, the name of the Greek maiden goddess of hunting.
- Artemisia is also the name of a genus of plants that includes sagebrush and wormwood.
- Artemisia Gentileschi was a pioneering Italian painter of the Baroque movement, the first woman to join the Accademia di Belle Arti Firenze, as well as one of the first to handle religious and historical subjects.
- Lufkin is a pet form of the Middle English given name Love, which derived from either the Old English girl's name Lufu, meaning "love", or its masculine equivalent Lufa.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Wizard of the Month
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ "World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000
- ↑ According to Pottermore, Nobby Leach (Minister for Magic between 1962 and 1968) was the first Muggle-born wizard ever to be appointed to the office)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Pottermore introduction for Hufflepuffs (transcription available here)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "Ministers for Magic"
- ↑ This is the most likely answer to the 6-1 question of the Third W.O.M.B.A.T.: as the first female Minister for Magic, it is likely that Lufkin's gender caused a walkout among the oldest (and perhaps more retrograde-minded) wizards of the Wizengamot.
- ↑ Sixth question of the Third W.O.M.B.A.T. at J. K. Rowling's Official Site.
- ↑ "Artemisia" on Behind the Name
- ↑ "Artemisios" on Behind the Name
- ↑ "Artemis" on Wikipedia
- ↑ "Artemisia (genus)" on Wikipedia
- ↑ "Artemisia Gentileschi" on Wikipedia
- ↑ "Lufkin" on Ancestry.com
- ↑ "Love" on Ancestry.com
Alguff the Awful | Amarillo Lestoat | Armando Dippet | Albus Dumbledore | Babayaga | Barberus Bragge | Bertie Bott | Billywig | Blodwyn Bludd | Bowtruckle | Bran the Bloodthirsty | Carlotta Pinkstone | Carmilla Sanguina | Common Welsh Green | Cyclops | Cordelia Misericordia | Double-ended Newt | Doxy | Dzou Yen | Eargit the Ugly | Giant Purple Toad | Giant Squid | Goliath | Gringott | Godric Gryffindor | Gytrash | Hermione Granger | Hebridean Black | Hengist of Upper Barnton | Herbert Varney | Herpo the Foul | Helga Hufflepuff | Harry Potter | Hungarian Horntail | Imp | Kelpie | Leticia Somnolens | Montague Knightley | Malodora Grymm | Manticore | Morholt | Mountain Troll | Norwegian Ridgeback | Old Mother Hubbard | Phillipus von Hohenheim | Phoenix | Roderick Plumpton | Rowena Ravenclaw | Romanian Longhorn | Ronald Weasley | Salazar Slytherin | Streeler | Troll | Ug the Unreliable | Unicorn | Urg the Unclean | Vlad Drakul
|Silver cards: |
Alberic Grunnion | Alberta Toothill | Andros the Invincible | Artemisia Lufkin | Blenheim Stalk | Bowman Wright | Chauncey Oldridge | Circe | Cliodna | Crispin Cronk | Cyprian Youdle | Daisy Dodderidge | Derwent Shimpling | Donaghan Tremlett | Dunbar Oglethorpe | Dymphna Furmage | Elfrida Clagg | Felix Summerbee | Fulbert the Fearful | Gaspard Shingleton | Gideon Crumb | Glenda Chittock | Gondoline Oliphant | Gregory the Smarmy | Gwenog Jones | Honoria Nutcombe | Ignatia Wildsmith | Joscelind Wadcock | Kirley Duke | Laverne de Montmorency | Leopoldina Smethwyck | Maeve | Mirabella Plunkett | Mopsus | Morgan le Fay | Oswald Beamish | Sacharissa Tugwood | Thaddeus Thurkell | Thurkell brothers | Wendelin the Weird | Xavier Rastrick
Adalbert Waffling | Almerick Sawbridge | Archibald Alderton | Balfour Blane | Beatrix Bloxam | Beaumont Marjoribanks | Bridget Wenlock | Burdock Muldoon | Cassandra Vablatsky | Celestina Warbeck | Cornelius Agrippa | Devlin Whitehorn | Dorcas Wellbeloved | Edgar Stroulger | Elladora Ketteridge | Ethelred the Ever-Ready | Flavius Belby | Gifford Ollerton | Glanmore Peakes | Glover Hipworth | Greta Catchlove | Grogan Stump | Gulliver Pokeby | Gunhilda of Gorsemoor | Havelock Sweeting | Hengist of Woodcroft | Heathcote Barbary | Herman Wintringham | Hesper Starkey | Jocunda Sykes | Justus Pilliwickle | Merlin | Merton Graves | Merwyn the Malicious | Miranda Goshawk | Mungo Bonham | Musidora Barkwith | Myron Wagtail | Newton Scamander | Norvel Twonk | Orsino Thruston | Perpetua Fancourt | Quong Po | Roland Kegg | Stoddard Withers | Tilly Toke | Uric the Oddball | Yardley Platt