Aresto Momentum is a spell that slows down or stops the movement of an object. Albus Dumbledore used this charm to slow Harry Potter's fall during a Quidditch match in 1993, when he was overcome by Dementors.
- Likely the combination of two words; the Anglo-French "arester", meaning "to bring to a stop", and the Latin "Momentum", meaning "the force or strength gained whilst moving". Literal translation: "bring its momentum to a stop".
Behind the scenes
- In some of the video games, such as the handheld versions of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, this spell's incantation is spelled Arresto Momento.
- In the second part of the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Hermione Granger cast this spell when she, Harry, Ron, Griphook and Bogrod fell from the Thief's Downfall to halt them down before they hit the ground below, thus saving their lives.
- Given its usage in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, this spell may be the Cushioning Charm mentioned in the novels. However, this is as of yet unconfirmed.
- This may also be the spell used in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when the Dumbledore's Army fell into the Death Chamber in the headquarters of the Ministry of Magic.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First identified as Arresto Momentum)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (NDS version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Portable versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|