Arcturus Black (1884–1959) was the third son of Phineas Nigellus Black and Ursula Flint. He was also brother of Sirius, Phineas, Cygnus and Belvina. He married Lysandra Yaxley, and the couple had three children: Callidora, Cedrella, and Charis. Through his daughter Cedrella, who was disowned for marrying "blood traitor" Septimus Weasley, Arcturus is the maternal grandfather of Arthur Weasley.
Arcturus is the name of the brightest star in the constellation Boötes. Its name derives from Ancient Greek Αρκτοῦρος, meaning "bear guard"; this refers to the story in Greek mythology that Zeus placed Arcturus in the sky to look after Arcas and Callisto, who were turned into bears and then into the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor to protect them from Hera's wrath.
Behind the scenes
- Based on a statement by Horace Slughorn, Arcturus may have been a member of the Slytherin House. However, he attended Hogwarts c. 1895 - 1902, when Slughorn wasn't Potions teacher.
- Arcturus was named after his great-uncle. After that, his nephew was named Arcturus.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (Seen on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Black family tree
- ↑ The page formerly stated that Arcturus was the YOUNGEST child of Phineas Nigellus Black and Ursula Flint; this is incorrect as Arcturus Black is born in 1884, then Belvina was born in 1886; Cygnus, who was born in 1889, is actually the last child, despite this page formerly stating differently.