|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "But the Death Eater… made a sudden slashing movement with his wand from which flew a streak of what looked like purple flame. It passed right across Hermione’s chest; she gave a tiny “oh!” as though of surprise and then crumpled onto the floor."
- —Antonin Dolohov casting this curse nonverbally on Hermione Granger[src]
This curse (incantation unknown) was used by the Death Eater Antonin Dolohov during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in 1996. The curse is cast using "a sudden slashing movement with the wand," causing a streak of purple flame to strike the target. Given its exclusively harmful effects, it is presumed to be Dark magic.
The effects of this Dark curse are unknown, but it is very dangerous and potentially lethal. Given that Hermione Granger had no visible marks or bleeding from her injury with this curse, but exhibited soreness for some time afterward, it is probable that the curse causes some kind of painful internal injury.
- "She winced slightly and put a hand to her ribs. The curse Dolohov had used on her, though less effective than it would have been had he been able to say the incantation aloud, had nevertheless caused, in Madam Pomfrey's words, "quite enough damage to be going on with." Hermione was having to take ten different types of potion every day [...] "
- —Description of Hermione Granger's recovery from a nonverbal use of this curse[src]
Antonin Dolohov used the curse twice during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, first against Hermione Granger, who was knocked unconscious but survived. Dolohov might have killed Hermione if he had been able to say the incantation, but his voice was taken by Hermione's Silencing Charm earlier in the battle and the nonverbal version of the curse was not as powerful as it normally would be.
Dolohov used the curse again against Harry Potter later in the battle, but it was blunted by Harry's use of the Shield Charm. Harry described it as a "streak across his face like a blunt knife," and the force of the curse knocked him off his feet. Dolohov also attempted to use the curse against Sirius Black while they were duelling during the battle, but Harry managed to hit him with a Full Body-Bind Curse before he could complete the spell.
This may be the curse Dolohov used to kill Remus Lupin during the Battle of Hogwarts, as it is noted that Remus's body was peaceful-looking, and this curse is not known to cause any visible signs of damage.
Behind the scenes
- In the first video game adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Dolohov uses this curse against Harry during the skirmish at Luchino Caffe.
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Sirius appears to block Dolohov's curse if the film is paused at the right moment.
- Unlike most Dark spells, this one can be deflected by a Shield Charm. However, it can only stop the worst of it and not block it completely.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)