Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Anti-Disapparition Jinx (incantation unknown) is used to prevent Disapparition in an area for a time. Presumably it can be used to aide in trapping a victim within an area. It can also be used to protect an area or to trap prey.
This jinx was used by Albus Dumbledore during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries to prevent Death Eaters from escaping the Ministry of Magic. This is also likely to be the spell that was placed on Hogsmeade in 1998 which prevented Harry Potter and his friends from Disapparating.
It is likely that Anti-Disapparition Jinxes are one of the security measures used by Gringotts Wizarding Bank, as Griphook described a security measure for certain vaults in which an intruder would be pulled into the vault and trapped inside.
It was also cast long ago on the Hogwarts Castle and its grounds, presumably by the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Headmaster of the time, to prevent students from Disapparating out of the castle. The headmaster is implied by Albus Dumbledore to be the only person who can Disapparate from Hogwarts at will. The jinx is lifted temporarily within the Great Hall when sixth year students are taking Apparition lessons.
Behind the scenes
- Another spell of the same kind exists, Anti-Apparition Charm, which is the same kind but prevents people from Apparating into an area.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (video game), Harry has to free some inprisoned muggle-borns at the Ministry of Magic. Once Harry casts Finite Incantatem on them, they are able to Disapparate, suggesting that the Anti-Disapparition jinx, or a similar spell, can also be used directly on individuals instead of areas.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince