|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real Dementor."
- —Professor Lupin details his discovery of this boggart.[src]
The Tuesday before the first of the scheduled lessons, held on Thursdays, Lupin began combing Hogwarts Castle, hoping to find a Boggart, as a reasonable substitute for an actual Dementor was needed for use in the lessons. Since Harry's worst fear was the Dementors (as a representation of fear itself), the boggart would take the form of one when Harry faced it. After much searching, Lupin successfully located a Boggart in Argus Filch's filing cabinet and trapped it in an old packing case. When not in use, he kept the boggart in a cupboard under his desk in his office.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Lupin does not detail the origin of the Boggart and does not even explain that it is a boggart until after Harry faces it for the first time and mistakes it for an actual Dementor.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)