|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
- "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real Dementor."
- —Professor Lupin details his discovery of this boggart.[src]
The Tuesday before the first of the scheduled lessons, held on Thursdays, Lupin began combing Hogwarts Castle, hoping to find a Boggart, as a reasonable substitute for an actual Dementor was needed for use in the lessons. Since Harry's worst fear was the Dementors (as a representation of fear itself), the boggart would take the form of one when Harry faced it. After much searching, Lupin successfully located a Boggart in Argus Filch's filing cabinet and trapped it in an old packing case. When not in use, he kept the boggart in a cupboard under his desk in his office.
Behind the scenes
- In the film version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Lupin does not detail the origin of the Boggart and does not even explain that it is a boggart until after Harry faces it for the first time and mistakes it for an actual Dementor.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)