- Anthony: "Hiya, Harry. I heard you'd found somewhere for the DA to meet."
- Harry Potter: "What!? This is supposed to be secret."
- Anthony: "It's all right. I heard it from Ernie, who heard it from Neville."
- Harry Potter: "We'll see you there then, yeah?"
- Anthony: "How do I find the Room of Requirement?"
- Harry Potter: "Come to the seventh floor and think about how much you really need to find the room and the door will appear."
- Anthony: "Er, okay. I dunno if Terry or Michael knows. You'd better tell them. See you."
- — Anthony and Harry Potter discussing the DA[src]
Anthony Goldstein (b. between 1 September, 1979 and 31 August, 1980) was a half-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 1991 as a Ravenclaw student. In 1995, he was selected as one of his House's prefects, and joined Dumbledore's Army later that school year. In 1998, he fought in the Battle of Hogwarts.
Anthony was born into the Goldstein family between 1 September, 1979 and 31 August, 1980 in Great Britain or Ireland. He had at least one magical parent, and was distantly related to Porpentina and Queenie Goldstein. He was also Jewish.
In 1991, Anthony received his acceptance letter and began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, being sorted into Ravenclaw. He befriended dorm-mates Terry Boot and Michael Corner, and was also on speaking terms with Ernest Macmillan.
- Hermione Granger: "I had the idea — that it might be good if people who wanted to study Defence Against the Dark Arts — and I mean, really study it, you know, not the rubbish that Umbridge is doing with us because nobody could call that Defence Against the Dark Arts— "
- Anthony: "Hear, hear."
- — Anthony agreeing with Hermione Granger[src]
On the Hogwarts Express after the school year's conclusion, Anthony sat in a compartment with Terry, Michael, Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Ernie Macmillan. Goyle, Vincent Crabbe and Draco Malfoy attempted to attack Harry on the train outside of their compartment, but the seven of them used a variety of jinxes and hexes that they had learnt as members of the DA, after which they resembled three gigantic slugs.
- "Both Patil twins were there, as were Terry Boot, Ernie Macmillan, Anthony Goldstein, and Michael Corner."
Personality and traits
Magical skills and abilities
- Martial magic: Anthony learnt a variety of jinxes and hexes from Harry Potter in the DA meetings, utilising them in combination with some of his classmates to cause Draco Malfoy, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe to look like gigantic slugs.
Behind the scenes
- Anthony was voiced by Tom Wheatley in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
- From the student list seen in Harry Potter and Me, it can be gleaned that Anthony was originally intended to be a Hufflepuff.
- Anthony was the first character to be identified as Jewish, the information being revealed by J.K. Rowling on Twitter as an example of a Jew attending Hogwarts.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Name appears on parchment) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS and PSP versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Consoles and Windows versions)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Accio-quote.org
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter and Me
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Hermione Granger: And Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil for Ravenclaw. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 10)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Well, I think it's widely known that that characters of (Porpen)tina and Queenie are sisters, but not that their surname is Goldstein. posted by JKR on Twitter on 15 August 2015
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 (any rlation to Anthony Goldstein) Yes (but distant). posted by JKR on Twitter on 15 August 2015
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Harry moved off into the middle of the room. Something very odd was happening to Zacharias Smith; every time he opened his mouth to disarm Anthony Goldstein, his own wand would fly out of his hand, yet Anthony did not seem to be making a sound." (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 18)
- ↑ J.K. Rowling on Twitter: ".@benjaminroffman Anthony Goldstein, Ravenclaw, Jewish wizard."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 16
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 18
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 31
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 38
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Chapter 29
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/544946669448867841
Harry Potter | Hermione Granger | Ronald Weasley
Harry Potter (Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley were co-leaders) | Neville Longbottom | Luna Lovegood | Ginny Weasley
Katie Bell | Lavender Brown | Colin Creevey | Dennis Creevey | Seamus Finnigan | Angelina Johnson | Lee Jordan | Parvati Patil | Alicia Spinnet | Dean Thomas | Fred Weasley | George Weasley
Terry Boot | Cho Chang | Michael Corner | Marietta Edgecombe | Anthony Goldstein | Padma Patil
Hannah Abbott | Susan Bones | Justin Finch-Fletchley | Ernie Macmillan | Zacharias Smith