As he was a member of the Slug Club, Horace Slughorn introduced Ambrosius to Ciceron Harkiss and thus had him employed. As repayment for Horace's kindness, Flume sent a hamper of Slughorn's favourite sweets (Crystallised pineapple) to him annually on his birthday.
Marriage and Honeydukes
At some point in his life, Ambrosius married Mrs Flume. By 1993, the couple lived in a flat above Honeydukes Sweetshop and together ran said shop. In 1993, during one of the weekend trips to Hogsmeade, Mrs Flume asked Ambrosius to get some Jelly Slugs, as the shop was filled with Hogwarts students.
Battle of Hogwarts
It is most likely that as a former Hogwarts student Ambrosius participated in the Battle of Hogwarts alongside his wife, and fellow Hogsmeade residents Aberforth Dumbledore, Madam Rosmerta and Madam Puddifoot.
Ambrosius comes from the Greek word "ambrosia" meaning food or drink of the deities. It is also referred as nectar, which is sweet and bestows immortality. A flume is an artificial channel for the flow of water.
Behind the scenes
- Flume may have been the one who told Tom Riddle that Horace Slughorn was quite fond of crystallised pineapple. Tom used this sweet as a casual bribe the night he asked Slughorn on the method and effects of creating Horcruxes.
- It is possible, as he was a former Slug Club member, that he attended the Christmas party in 1996.
- On the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Ambrosius only appears in a flashback on disc 2 from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) and is mentioned on the original script.
- Also in the novel Slughorn said that Ambrosius sent a hamper of his favourite sweets, which were crystallised pineapple, every birthday, while on the original script from the film Slughorn said that Ambrosius sent him a hamper of chocolate each birthday. This is possibly why it was cut from the film, as it contradicts the novel and would totally ruin later events, such as Slughorn's memory about the Slug Club dinner with Tom Riddle, in which Tom gave Slughorn crystallised pineapple.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First identified as Ambrosius Flume)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned on script only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Mentioned only in DS version)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Slughorn became Potions Master in 1931 and resigned from his teaching position in 1981, meaning Flume would have been a member of the Slug Club by at least then.
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling," South West News Service, 8 July 2000
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 10 (The Marauder's Map)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 4 (Horace Slughorn)
- ↑ Half-Blood Prince script on the Internet Movie Script Database (archived here)