Acid Pops are one of the sweets sold by Honeydukes Sweetshop in Hogsmeade. They may be similar to the Muggle lollipops, but like most Honeydukes' fare, they have an unconventional, practical joke-like twist with wizarding magic wherein they are able to burn your tongue, and taste sweet and sour. They are therefore extremely dangerous and extremely painful to eat - why it is sold despite such a high risk of injury remains a mystery (a possible explanation would be, that the injuries caused by an Acid Pop are easily healed by magic means, since, e.g. Ron's tongue damage was apparently healed with no complications, making the Acid Pops a sort of "extreme sport of the tongue").
"Acid Pops" was also a password used to gain entrance to Albus Dumbledore's office at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry while Harry was at school. Dumbledore informed Harry of this via a note which included "P.S.: I enjoy Acid Pops." Whether or not the actual statement was factual is unknown. It seems unlikely, though Dumbledore was known to enjoy unusual sweets.
Behind the scenes
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Possible appearance)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site