- "I'm sorry, Longbottom, but 'Acceptable' really isn't good enough for N.E.W.T. level. I just don't think you'd be able to cope with the coursework."
- —Professor McGonagall to Neville[src]
Acceptable is one of the three passing grades, and one of six grades overall, in the Ordinary Wizarding Levels, Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, and Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Tests. It is the third highest mark and lowest passing grade, immediately below 'Exceeds Expectations' and immediately above 'Poor'.
Advancing to N.E.W.T.-level
As 'Acceptable' is a passing grade, the student might be able to enter into the N.E.W.T. class that they passed in. However, some teachers, like Severus Snape, only allowed students with an 'Outstanding' grade to enter his N.E.W.T. classes. Additionally, Minerva McGonagall refused to accept Neville Longbottom into her N.E.W.T.-level Transfiguration class with only an 'Acceptable' on his Ordinary Wizarding Level. This may indicate that students who receive only an 'Acceptable' O.W.L. for a subject might not routinely be allowed to continue at N.E.W.T.-level.
Recipients of an A
|Harry Potter||Astronomy O.W.L.||1996|
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince