Abraxas Malfoy (b. between 1924 and 1930 - d. between June and September 1996) was a pure-blood wizard, father of Lucius Malfoy, grandfather of Draco Malfoy and great-grandfather of Scorpius Malfoy. He was related by marriage to the Blacks, through his daughter-in-law Narcissa, and, more distantly, to the Lestranges.
Abraxas Malfoy was widely belived to have been part of the shady plot that, in 1968, forced Minister for Magic Nobby Leach (the first Muggle-born ever to have held the office) to leave his post prematurely. Nothing was, however, conclusively proven against Malfoy.
Abraxas died of a case of dragon pox, a relatively common malady of the elderly, some time before September 1996. Horace Slughorn knew him at one time and was sorry to hear that he had passed away, as he informed Abraxas's grandson Draco. Abraxas may also have been a well-respected wizard, as Draco attempted to use his name to charm Slughorn into letting Draco into the Slug club, because Slughorn was impressed with heritage. However, perhaps due to Lucius' renewed criminal records, the name was not good enough to earn Slughorn's favour.
The word Abraxas was engraved on stones that were considered amulets in the Ancient Roman-Greco world. They often had figures carved on them as well that resembled basilisks or chimaeras. The name may be related to the word abracadabra, which is notable as this may also be the root of the Killing Curse incantation "Avada Kedavra". The name Abraxas is also mentioned in Gnostic texts, and in Ancient Egyptian mythology as a god or demon.
Behind the scenes
- In 1992, Harry Potter, speaking about Draco Malfoy, said, "Look at his family... The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin, he's always boasting about it". This indicates that Abraxas was most likely a Slytherin when he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, though it cannot be confirmed.
- Although it is not confirmed, Abraxas Malfoy might have been a Death Eater, due to the fact that he was believed to be the reason for Minister Nobby Leach to leave office 1968, who happened to be the first Muggle-Born ever to hold this position, which would not only be for his own benefit as a believer of Pureblood supremecy, but also for Voldemort, since the upcoming First Wizarding War began shortly after this.
- In 1997 a portrait was hung in Malfoy Manor showing a wizard; Abraxas may be that wizard.
- Abraxas is a character in Marvel Comics. Also known as Dark Man, he is depicted as an adversary of the Fantastic Four.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ This wand was passed down the family, meaning Abraxas may have had it before passing it to Lucius.
- ↑ Draco says that Lucius told him about the opening of the Chamber of Secrets; as Lucius is not old enough to have witnessed it, his father must have told him. Being born in 1924 would have made Abraxas 17 during the opening and being born in 1930 would have made him 11 during the opening so these are the latest dates he can have been born in or between.
- ↑ The school year ends in June, and Abraxas is dead by September, so he had to have died between these dates
- ↑ Pottermore - "The Malfoy Family"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Ch. 9