Before (or between) 1881 and 1921
Abraxas Malfoy (fl. 1954-1968) was a pure-blood wizard, father of Lucius Malfoy, grandfather of Draco Malfoy and great-grandfather of Scorpius Malfoy. He was related by marriage to the Blacks, through his daughter-in-law Narcissa, and, more distantly, to the Lestranges.
Abraxas had at least one child, Lucius Malfoy, who was born in 1954; the fate of Lucius's mother, Abraxas's wife, is currently unknown. Abraxas apparently knew Horace Slughorn, according to his grandson Draco and Slughorn himself.
Abraxas Malfoy was widely believed to have been part of the shady plot that, in 1968, forced Minister for Magic Nobby Leach (the first Muggle-born ever to have held the office) to leave his post prematurely. Nothing was, however, conclusively proven against Malfoy.
Abraxas died of a case of dragon pox, a relatively common malady of the elderly, some time before September 1996. Horace Slughorn knew him at one time and was sorry to hear that he had passed away, as he informed Abraxas's grandson Draco. Abraxas may also have been a well-respected wizard, as Draco attempted to use his name to charm Slughorn into letting Draco into the Slug club, because Slughorn was impressed with heritage. However, perhaps due to Lucius's renewed criminal records, the name was not good enough to earn Slughorn's favour.
The word Abraxas was engraved on stones that were considered amulets in the Ancient Roman-Greco world. They often had figures carved on them as well that resembled basilisks or chimaeras. The name may be related to the word abracadabra, which is notable as this may also be the root of the Killing Curse incantation "Avada Kedavra". The name Abraxas is also mentioned in Gnostic texts, and in Ancient Egyptian mythology as a god or demon.
Behind the scenes
- In 1992, Harry Potter, speaking about Draco Malfoy, said, "Look at his family... The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin, he's always boasting about it". This indicates that Abraxas was most likely a Slytherin when he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, though it cannot be confirmed.
Notes and references
- ↑ Slughorn's words of "dragon pox at his age" about Abraxas's death seems to imply that Abraxas was actually older than him. We do not know Slughorn's exact date of birth - other than between 1881 and 1921 - which is why both dates are included.
- ↑ This wand was passed down the family, meaning Abraxas may have had it before passing it to Lucius.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince)
- ↑ Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: "The Malfoy Family"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Ch. 9