|Height of average adult||
Larger than normal horse-size; similar to an elephant
Large and winged
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
An Abraxan is a breed of Winged horse. They are gigantic and extremely powerful. Madame Olympe Maxime, Headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, breeds them, and used them to pull her carriage in 1994. Her horses drink only single malt whiskey and require forceful handling, it is unknown if this is true for the entire breed. In 1997 after the death of Albus Dumbledore the Abraxans returned to Hogwarts flying their powder-blue carriage with them, in which Olympe Maxime was travelling in to attend the Funeral of Albus Dumbledore.
Their name is probably derived from Abraxas, one of the horses of Aurora, the Dawn, in Roman mythology.
Behind the scenes
- Rubeus Hagrid once claimed to have a friend who bred Abraxan horses, though this was likely only part of a story that he made up to distract Dolores Umbridge. Alternatively, he may have been referring to Olympe Maxime.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Seen on Game Cover)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4