A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration is a textbook on Transfiguration by Emeric Switch. This textbook was used as an introduction to Transfiguration for young witches and wizards, it contained basic transformation spells.
It was a required textbook and as such was on the list of items needed by first years for Transfiguration classes in 1991 and 1992 for first and second year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Before Ginny Weasley's first year at Hogwarts, Lucius Malfoy managed to slip Tom Riddle's diary into her second-hand copy of the book in Flourish and Blotts, leading to the re-opening of the Chamber of Secrets in that term.
Behind the scenes
- The book's cover is brown in the film but violet in the first game and red in Pottermore.
- In the PS1 version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, this book is titled A Beginner's Guide to Transformation.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS2 version)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (As "A Beginner's Guide to Transformation")
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|